Monday, January 2, 2012

Spread the Love!

Recently, my posts have become targeted by a small vocal minority of right wing, conservative hate mongers who have a long and public history of spreading anti-trans hatred and degradation. Their efforts include campaigning locally and internationally against inclusion of Trans rights as LGBT human rights on the basis of the most ridiculous ill-logic equating trans people (women especially) with cis male rapists. They appear to have come across my writing on "Transphobia in Relationship" which was re-published on The Scavenger, an online alternative news source. The week this article was published, and subsequent weeks saw hundreds of reactionary posts on radfem websites making defamatory, hateful, statements meant to harass, stalk, and cyberbully. A video was also created, and my workplace was contacted. I have no associations with any of these people and have had no contact with any of them, yet they read a post of mine they did not like and began an online campaign to defame my character.

Apparently, my ideas on considering what transphobia looks like are so threatening to them they have taken to spreading my name with tags calling me a "tranny," "rapist," "sex offender," "ex-lesbian," mis-gendering me, and seeking to attack my person, counselling practice, and place of employment. Their postings speak for themselves and do not represent my beliefs, actions, my professional practice or philosophies, me as a person, or any affiliations I have. Anyone perpetuating these malicious falsehoods will be subject to legal action.

I will never understand how anyone could have the time or energy to spread defamation, violence or hate to this degree, especially individuals within the queer community. Furthermore, while being obviously abusive, hateful and transphobic, calling trans people (historically it has been trans women) "rapists" and "sex offenders" by virtue of our being trans... diminishes the real lived experiences of sexual abuse survivors. It is simply disgusting, and deeply demeaning of such experiences.

What is interesting, is not so much the shared violence and exclusion historically that trans and LGB people have faced, but the scapegoating of trans people on whose backs the queer liberation movement and LGB rights have been gained. Our gay brothers and lesbian sisters have been painfully vocal in some circles recently, about their disdain for the rights and acceptance of trans people. These people seem to be going out of their way to harm trans people... by trolling the internet, stalking online forums, spreading the most degrading toxic hatred, violence and misinformation from behind their computer screens, on their blogs, and in community forums in cities they do not live in. Yes, unfortunately the internet is a far reaching tool that can be used by anonymous abusers to launch vitriolic attacks on people they don't know, have never met, do not know the slightest thing about, but who nonetheless provoke dialogue these folks are incapable of understanding or interacting with in any legible way.

What we should be fighting for is the right for all individuals, however they identify, to express themselves and love and live how they want safely.

Body parts and gender are not the issues: threatening, violent, hate-filled behaviour that attacks people is. And the violence affecting trans people, myself included, speaks to that. We should be working together as community members with shared experiences of anti-LGBTTQ2SI violence, trauma and degradation to gain rights for our safety and integrity to live equitably in society, instead of projecting lateral violence amongst each other in some sort of scramble to get rights first.

So live your life how you see fit and let others do the same. No one is forcing you to do anything except consider expanding your consciousness and respecting others...which can be accomplished through respectful, thoughtful, inquisitive dialogue.

Spread the love!

*** If you come across hateful sites please report abuse (on the host site). To any readers who are facing hatred or cyber/bullying and in need of support please seek a local crisis line in your community or try this website AND KEEP RIGHTEOUSLY BEING YOU!!! LOVE AND SOLIDARITY. ~ Xander Sarkisova

7 comments:

  1. While I encourage members from all communities to engage in discussion when something is unclear or if they do not necessarily agree with something someone has said, I find that the responses you have been getting as a result of what I think is a very important post to be absolutely appalling, disrespectful, transphobic (no doubt about that) and hateful. I'm here for you buddy. Big love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being in a country where homosexuality is written in the constitution as 'anti-buggery' creates an element of caution, where one treads very carefully in what one does or says. It is a huge adjustment from living an open and transparent life in the country I usually live in. I would expect that very few here would even understand transgender/transsexuality, and this has been a challenge to be back in this island that I once called home, a place I love dearly. As much as I have become more open about who I am here, become far more comfortable in my own skin, able to take up space and not silence myself, it still can sometimes be a challenge being an openly gay person in a tiny village of bible thumping, right-wing conservative, god-fearing phobics.
    But what is most disturbing of this person who is attacking you Xander, is that this person should be educated, should understand what it is like to be an 'outsider' as a gay person, to be discriminated against, and yet seems to be so nasty, so self deprecating. To me it seems like there is some internalized phobias, some healing that needs to be done. We always seem to fear what we don't understand, so I implore this person, try to understand, educate yourself. Spewing hate, actually shows your ignorance, your fear.
    Also, as a survivor of sexual abuse, I find it highly offensive that my experience has been trivialized in this way. This person ought to be ashamed of themselves. I do hope that you like what you see when you look in the mirror.
    Spreading the love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your blog silently until now. Although we were friends many years ago it has been a long time since I've seen you in person. I'm amazed at how you've matured and your intelligence. Some of us still act like high school kids driving around in the corolla listening to the B52's. :)

    I love reading your blog and getting insight into your life. You are so open and honest, and genuinely such a giving, caring person. While we may be different people I am so proud do call you my friend.

    I am horrified at the awful things being said about you. I can't understand how someone could be so cruel as to personally attack someone like that. Keep your head up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sly! I'm so sorry that hateful transphobes are attacking you. I support you, and I think that you're writing is great. Thanks for sticking up for trans folks, and especially trans women, in your posts!

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heya Sly,

    I've missed all this drama because I've been in Florida getting my surgery done (whoo~). I've caught up a bit, read some of the comments elsewhere (I can't read everything; some of it is just too upsetting), and I am kind of horrified.

    I'm sending you lots of love and support. The people behind this are hateful, cruel and destructive human beings, and you don't deserve this kind of defamation. Stay strong, and don't let this make you second guess whether you should be open about who you are on the Internet -- you shouldn't feel backed into a corner because of transphobic jerks. I hope SHC is treating you well over this. :)

    Ren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your experience and hope with others. I am just a simple farmer, but I know one thing, everything grows with love. Including social consciousness. This blog of your experience must be a beacon of light for people who are going through a similar journey. I feel sad that there is someone so small minded and clearly with many of their own issues. To you who is filled with hate ... please get the help you need so that you might be part of the solution that makes the world a more loving, gentle and kind place. The simple truth is the answer is always love and understanding. I hope you can learn this. Keep up your wonderful work Sly .. many blessings to you and abundance on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the support friends! Love to you.

    ReplyDelete